Re: How do people manage cabal vs deb packages?

Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs@mega-nerd.com> writes:

> Does anybody use both debian and cabal installed packages? I know I
> definitely  prefer debian packages but some stuff, like contributing
> to upstream packages, just really needs cabal-install.

> I know I've tried to make these co-exist in the past and it was nothing
> but pain.

I've generally tried to use debian packages (which install in /usr), and
supplemented with cabal packages (in /usr/local), and that has seemed to
work okay for me¹.  Generally, GHC will just use whatever is the latest
versioned package.

Could you be more specific about the problems you encounter?

-k

¹ Previously, the amount of useful packages in Debian (and Ubuntu, which
I use) was quite limited, of course.  Perhaps I haven't yet used debs
extensively enough to run into trouble?