Re: On static vs. dynamic linking

Ganesh Sittampalam a écrit :
> As I understand it, there'll be dynamic linking in GHC 6.12, but no ABI
> guarantees at all. So even two successive builds of the same library
> won't be guaranteed to be ABI compatible. I imagine this would make
> upgrades a nightmare...

But I guess there is a way to "compute" ABI compatibility. Otherwise,
how does the compiler checks it itself?

FYI, there are similar issues with OCaml, and we worked towards dealing
with this ABI issue at last debconf [1]. However, OCaml (still) doesn't
support linking with shared libraries (but does support some kind of
dynamic linking à la dlopen, for which ABI compatibility must be ensured).

[1]
http://le-gall.net/sylvain+violaine/blog/index.php?2009/07/08/51-debcamp-debconf-9-and-ocaml

Cheers,

--