Re: Git?

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> The only tarball-related git thing you might do is use pristine-tar,
> which writes a small bit of metadata that allows you to generate a
> bit-identical copy of the original tarball using only what's in the
> repo [...]

Why would you use pristine-tar instead of uscan?  It seems to me the
easiest way to generate an upstream tarball that's bit-for-bit identical
to the upstream tarball is to, you know, download the upstream tarball.

The only countercases I can image are 1) if you aren't on the internet
right now; or 2) you can't afford to download the upstream tarball
(because it's absurdly large, like say openoffice).