Re: [Fwd: ITP: libghc6-extensible-exceptions -- Extensible exceptions for the Glasgow Haskell Compiler]

Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@holoscopio.com> writes:

>> I noticed that you use darcs to track your debian/ dir only. In case
>> you are not aware, you can use quilt or cdbs’s simple-patchsys to put
>> your changes there too.
>
> I know about quilt and simple-patchsys.  Do they integrate with darcs?

Note that quilt-style debian/patches is an officially sanctioned variant
of the upcoming 3.0 source format, see the dpkg-source(5) manpage.  For
this reason I recommend it over simple-patchsys (though I have used both
in the past).

Though I'm the Darcs package maintainer, I just use quilt if I need to
patch files outside of debian/.  I do not bother to put more version
control on top of that -- when I need to make a change, I just do a
checkout with "apt-get source foo/unstable" and work on it locally until
the next upload is ready.  For history I rely on the "quilt header"
command and debian/changelog.  lintian -I will warn about quilt patches
that do not have headers (descriptions).

Of course, if you are collaborating with other maintainers on Debian
integration for a package, then VCS (darcs or otherwise) for debian/,
including debian/patches, might be useful.