Re: out of memory when reading /usr/share/doc/ghc6-doc/libraries/base/base.haddock

reassign 516241 haskell-devscripts
retitle 516241 .haddock files need to be put in -dev
done

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 05:45:55PM -0800, David Fox wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote
> >  * We mach all -doc packages arch any instead of all.
> >   (Easiler but less elegant)

I'd rather not, since the bulk of those is still HTML.  If an average
-doc is 500k, that times ~10 arches is 5MB.  That times 100 and
counting Haskell packages is a bit.

> >  * We put the haddock interface files in the -dev packages.
> >   (Not sure about the implications)

The implications are that without having a .haddock file available in
-doc, ghc6-doc's indices won't get updated without having the -dev
package installed, too.

There's that 50k-100k or so that a .haddock file will grow the -dev
package's size, whether or not a -doc is installed.  But as far as
space is concerned, it's still a lesser evil than arch:any -doc, IMHO.

I'm reassigning this to haskell-devscripts since it still puts
.haddock files to -doc.

What does haddock even use from a .haddock file, to generate that
library index?  There's the module names, links to the package
specific docs and the cabal name of the package it's from, but
anything else?  IMHO it wouldn't be too difficult to put that much
into some plain old text file.  Do we even need to carry full .haddock
files around, as far as -doc packages are concerned?  They're
necessary for building -doc packages, but that's a separate issue.