Re: cabal-install ready for review

Afternoon,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:01:29PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2009, 12:01 +0100 schrieb Iain Lane:
I've just found the motivation to finish up the copyright file and do
some other cleanups. Cabal-install should be ready for review and
hopefully sponsorship from one of the DDs now.

I’m reviewing the package. I’m really doubt that I find the new
copyright format useful. So much information, so much work to find it,
and so high standards that they are hard to meet: You forgot the
copyright on the file bash-completion/cabal and other files outside of
Distribution (e.g. Main.hs)

I agree. I'm not sure listing all of the copyright holders gives any benefit. From reading policy it's ambiguous whether this is required at all. Perhaps our resident ftpmaster (Chris) could comment.

I'll add the missing entries for -2.

A manpage is missing, and ought to be added eventually.

Other than that, it looks ok. I don’t know if ftp-masters actually care
if the new copyright file format is not fully complete, as long as all
copyright holders and especially licenses are covered, so I’ll find out
and upload the package now :-)

Thanks for the upload.

Thanks for your work there, this package will be very useful for our
users,
Joachim

PS: Some idea if someone wants to really do integrational work for
Debian: Extend cabal-install to warn the user if he tries to install a
package from hackage (as a dependency or directly) where a Debian
version is available :-)

This would be a nice feature. I just raised this on #ghc and it turns out that there is an upstream ticket about it[0], but the issue is a lot more complicated than it might first seem to do properly. Maybe as a first pass we could just spit out a warning if the top-level {library,version} which is being requested is also in the distro.

Regards,
Iain

[0] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/578