Re: pandoc depwaits

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:57:36PM -0700, John MacFarlane wrote:
>+++ Joachim Breitner [Jul 29 09 02:09 ]:
>> [Moving this back on the list]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 28.07.2009, 16:50 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:
>> > +++ Jonas Smedegaard [Jul 28 09 11:35 ]:

>> > Jonas,
>> >
>> > That's terrific!  I don't know too much about debian packaging, so
>> > I don't understand the part after the 'if'.  But I can handle the
>> > Haskell part if you can handle the debian-specific part.  Pandoc
>> > now has a fairly standard cabal build process, so (except for a few
>> > details like man pages and wrapper scripts) it should be much like
>> > any other cabalized Haskell package.  I think the debian haskell
>> > team has a fairly standard way of doing these things, so it should
>> > be mostly a matter of copying an existing package that is done in
>> > the standard way.
>> >
>> > Note that pandoc 0.46, currently in debian, is a native debian
>> > package, but going forward it won't be.
>> >
>> > Pandoc depends on two other packages that may need work: pcre-light
>> > and highlighting-kate.  Both were maintained by Recai Oktas.  I'm
>> > the upstream developer for highlighting-kate; pcre-light is by Don
>> > Stewart.

>> great to see pandoc in good hands. Note that pandoc is also a haskell
>> library, so I would appreciate if you would stay in touch with
>> ddebian-haskell. At the moment, nothing Build-Depends on pandoc, but
>> when that changes, uploads need to be a bit coordinated. Just make
>> sure you inform d-haskell about important changes.
>>
>> I’m adopting the two dependencies, pcre-light and highlighting-kate,
>> for the Debian Haskell Group, so that you are ready to go.
>
>Joachim,
>
>I forgot to mention another pandoc dependency: zip-archive. It's a
>standard cabalized library, and I think all of its dependencies are
>already debianized.
>
>I haven't heard from Jonas -- not sure if he is interested in working
>on the pandoc package.  If not, I can try it myself, using cpphs as a
>model, but I may need some guidance.

I am interested in helping maintain pandoc.

I already (last week) prepared a packaging of zip-archive, but it seems
that the Haskell group should rather maintain that package, and I am not
in the mood to learn a new VCS at the moment (the Haskell group seems to
only use Darcs, not Git which I prefer).

So I suggest that Joachim (or others from the Haskell team) take care of
zip-archive.

John: I suggest that we maintain Pandoc using Git at the collab-maint
area of the Debian Alioth service. That area is writable by all Debian
developers so is easy for anyone deeply involved in Debian to
participate in our packaging if need be. I guess you are not a Debian
Developer - so here is the steps needed by you to start working that
way:

1) Create an account at https://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php

2) Request membership at https://alioth.debian.org/projects/collab-maint

Both parts are obviously only necessary if you have not done them
already related to other Debian projects.

When requesting membership of collab-maint, please mention as reason
that you need it to participate in the Git maintainance of Pandoc.

Hopefully when you are done with above, I have prepared and released a
git for you to clone at that collab-maint area, and we can work from
there :-)

  - Jonas

- --