Re: pandoc depwaits

[Moving this back on the list]

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 28.07.2009, 16:50 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:
> +++ Jonas Smedegaard [Jul 28 09 11:35 ]:
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:21:19AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > >It’s always a bit tricky to take over a packer properly. But if he does
> > >not respond, and his packages are uninstallable right now, that is
> > >sufficient to do NMUs at least. So just go ahead and work on it, and
> > >it’s dependencies as needed, but do it with NMUs and leave him in the
> > >Maintainer field for now.
> > >
> > >I’m CC’ing another DD who today asked for the state of pandoc, and
> > >might be interested in helping.
> >
> > I agree with Joachim that lack of activity on its own is a fine excuse
> > for NMUing a package.
> >
> > Another option which I recommend here is to do a "friendly takeover":
> > Hinting as "O"rphaned and then "RFA"dopting it is only necessary if the
> > new maintainer is unknown.  An explicit aknowledgement of letting go of
> > maintainership need not be public - especially when backed by implicitly
> > demonstrating lack of interest in the package.
> >
> > So, in short, I strongly recommend to simply prepare and upload a new
> > release with new maintainer, mentioning "friendly takeover" in the
> > changelog and nicely thanking the former maintainer for his great work
> > in the past.
> >
> > I am, as Joachim says, an active user of pandoc, but have no knowledge
> > of Haskell (and no strong interest in learning it either).  I do have
> > quite a bit of knowledge of packaging in general, as I participate in
> > development and package maintainance of CDBS.
> >
> > I would be happy to join a team for maintaining the Pandoc packaging, if
> > the package would use CDBS (as opposed to classic explicit debian/rules
> > rules or debhelper v7 shortenings).
>
> Jonas,
>
> That's terrific!  I don't know too much about debian packaging, so I
> don't understand the part after the 'if'.  But I can handle the Haskell
> part if you can handle the debian-specific part.  Pandoc now has a
> fairly standard cabal build process, so (except for a few details like
> man pages and wrapper scripts) it should be much like any other
> cabalized Haskell package.  I think the debian haskell team has a
> fairly standard way of doing these things, so it should be mostly a
> matter of copying an existing package that is done in the standard
> way.
>
> Note that pandoc 0.46, currently in debian, is a native debian package,
> but going forward it won't be.
>
> Pandoc depends on two other packages that may need work:  pcre-light
> and highlighting-kate.  Both were maintained by Recai Oktas.  I'm the
> upstream developer for highlighting-kate; pcre-light is by Don Stewart.
>
> > As for workspace for team work, I would prefer to use Git (as opposed to
> > SVN or other VCSes) and would suggest to not create mailinglist or any
> > other infrastructure at first, other than simply creating the VCS.  This
> > also means that we need not request an Alioth group - just use
> > collab-maint.

great to see pandoc in good hands. Note that pandoc is also a haskell
library, so I would appreciate if you would stay in touch with
ddebian-haskell. At the moment, nothing Build-Depends on pandoc, but
when that changes, uploads need to be a bit coordinated. Just make sure
you inform d-haskell about important changes.

I’m adopting the two dependencies, pcre-light and highlighting-kate, for
the Debian Haskell Group, so that you are ready to go.

PS: John: You can be glad, we use cdbs. An example for a package that
ships both a binary and a library, look at cpphs, and of course the
other packages at http://darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/.