Re: Forcing a rebuild with ghc-6.10.3

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:47:31AM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a new maintainer and my first haskell package is haskell-curl
> version  1.3.5-1 which my sponsor uplaoded on May 18th, a day before
> Kari Pahula uploaded the new 6.10.3 compiler.
>
> Its my understanding that to kick off a rebuild of my package with
> the new compiler I basically need to upload a new version. Now, if
> the upstream version (1.3.5) hasn't  changed, but the package
> metadata has changed I should just increment the version from say
> 1.3.5-1 to 1.3.5-2.
>
> However, if there has been  neither an upstream version change, nor a
> metadata change, is there some recommended way to signify this in the
> package version number?

Hi Erik,

I would just bump the version to 1.3.5-2 and note something like "rebuilt
with the 6.10.3 compiler" in the changelog. I am guessing that the binary
packages will automatically pick up new dependencies - which is somewhat
akin to a metadata change to my mind. You could also consider a versioned
build dependency on ghc6, but I am not sure what the preferred practice in
debian-haskell is in that regard.