Re: Sourceful uploads of libraries required...

Hi,

Am Montag, den 25.05.2009, 23:55 +0300 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 09:13:37AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> >  * Do we need to depend on ghc-doc (now that documentation is installed
> > via triggers) at all?
>
> I wouldn't use a Dependency for -doc packages at all, but rather a
> Recommends.  The former would imply that -doc package is unusable
> without the dependency, which isn't quite the case.
>
> Without ghc6-doc, the index won't get generated, but the individual
> HTML haddock docs in -doc packages are still useful.  Likewise,
> missing other recommended -doc packages would lead to broken links,
> which isn't fatal either.
>
> As for .haddock files, they have magic numbers in them, which means
> that if there's a -doc package version lying around with obsolete
> haddock docs, it'll just be ignored by ghc6-doc's trigger.  (I didn't
> check but if it's not that way then it should be.)  Not the end of the
> world, but not ideal either.

I agree that, at least for unstable, this is not a critical issue. But
we should aim for a stable release to only contain .haddock files that
are parseable by the release’s ghc6-doc. It will probably be enough to
do a one time check close to the release freeze and to manual arch:all
binNMUs if needed.

> IMHO it's a bug on the RM side that
> there's no option to include arch:all packages in the binNMUs.  I'd
> like to hear the opinion of someone from that side about that.

I assume they will say that there are not enough use cases for that to
warrant setting up the infrastructure.

> I suppose that doing arch:all package binNMUs manually, as Joachim
> described, would work.  Though it wouldn't really buy much over just
> doing a sourceful upload in the first place.

Right. Especially as all packages probably should have their -doc
Depends line adjusted :-)

> I've just uploaded haskell-mtl without a versioned dependency on
> ghc6-doc.  That should work now.  If there are any other packages
> around, please fix them.

Thanks for that.

> >  * Do we need to depend on the -doc packages of dependencies, and if so,
> > do these need to be versioned?
>
> A Recommends would be useful on those...  Time for a
> ${haskell:Recommends}?

I’d say that would be useful. Implementation could be along the line of
the -dev depedencies, e.g. based on the cabal file, or by grepping the
generated HTML for links and then listing the packages that contain the
link targets.