Re: Debian Haskell Platform status and bug reports

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 07.05.2009, 17:55 -0500 schrieb John Goerzen:
> > Can anyone update me on the status of Debian support for the Haskell Platform?
> >
> >     http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/
>
> There has been talk on the mailing list about it.  We'd probably make
> haskell-platform a metapackage that depends on all the components.  We
> need to regress some of the components to older versions first, though.
>  I've not been directly involved so someone else can speak better.

(just some random thoughts:)

But does that mean that those libraries that are in the haskell platform
are not going to be update in Debian (unless the haskell platform is
updated)? Not sure if that suits all our users – some might be waiting
for the improvements in newer versions.

We could make libghc6-pkgname-platform-dev packages that follow the
platform version, and our regular libghc6-pkgname-dev packages keep
tracking upstream. AFAIK Cabal will be clever enough to pick the right
one if a users’ program requests the platform version in it’s cabal
file.

Also, how valuable will be the haskell platform in Debian stable, if
platform releases new versions every 6 months (which I read somewhere,
not sure if it’s correct)? If so, then a stable Debian release will have
an outdated platform most of it’s lifetime.