register packages via triggers

Hi,

I’d like to seize a suggestion from kaol and bring it up for discussion.
He mentioned, on IRC I think, that it might be feasible to register
haskell packages not by maintainer scripts, but by putting the package
description in a well-known directory and let ghc6 build the package
data base from that directory, via triggers. This approach has been
introduced for doc packages with 6.10.1 and has worked well, it seems.
The advantage would be less maintainer scripts (thus reduced
complexity).

Kaol, do you still think this is a worthwhile change? Do you already
have any plans about that?