Re: ANN: cabal-debian et el

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 01.04.2009, 17:58 -0500 schrieb Jeremy Shaw:
> 3. BONUS: apt-get-build-depends
>
> apt-get provides a command build-depends so that you can do, apt-get
> build-depends for a source package, to install all the required build
> dependencies. Unfortuantely, it does not look at the local
> debian/control, but rather, the Source package index file that it
> downloaded.
>
> Additionally, when dpkg-buildpackage fails, it spits out a list of the
> missing build dependencies. In theory, you would just copy and paste
> those missing build dependencies as the arguments to apt-get
> install. Unfortuantely, apt-get install does not know how to parse the
> build-dependencies if they include | or version numbers.
>
> Hence, the creation of apt-get-build-depends. It will look in
> debian/control, find all the Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep and
> attempt to install them. At present it is very hackish -- I believe it
> ignores architecture and version requiresments. But, it's a start :)

Nice! It could even be nicer if it would do what
http://sourcedeps.debian.net/ does (see [1] for details). I like the
meta packages provided by sourcedeps.d.net, as they allow me to easily
get rid of packages afterwards, but I can’t easily use it with local
packages and packages from other repository.

Maybe apt-get-build-depends could be modified to install a meta package
that depends on the build-depends (instead of installing them directly),
and to use either a source directory, a .dsc file or a source package
name as an argument.

[1] http://blog.djpig.de/2007/09/08