Gigabyte-class SD cards

Hi, folks.

My first Z was flimsy and it broke :(

But they are cheap now on the used market (I do love the new
640x480 and up screens, but I'm afraid it'd break again), so
I'm finally replacing it.  I've been using an IPAQ with a 5gb
hard drive in a PCMCIA sleeve and tho I loved the 5GB capacity,
but hated its thickness and weight and poor battery life
when I deigned to use the drive.

Turns out I really wasn't using all of that capacity, so am
switching back to Z.

How big an SD can an SL-5000 or SL-5500 take?  I can't seem
to find the answer anywhere.

And are we still stuck with the original Sharp kernel to be
able to use the SD?

I see 1GB and 2GB have become available at about $85/GB.  Is it
is now practical to have a full Debian install in a lightweight
low-power integrated-keyboard pocket package for under $200-$300
USD?  That would be outstanding.

(Oh, and I'm not really interested in using CF for this
purpose since I'd like to keep that open for 802.11b).

-- Tony Godshall