Re: new distribution

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 13:12 -0600, Chris Larson wrote:
> * trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com (trixter@0xdecafbad.com) wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 12:32 -0600, Chris Larson wrote:
> > > I'd be inclined to agree here.  That time you're taking to try to strip
> > > it down is wasted.  The OE/familiar/OZ folks have already taken care of
> > > this for over 1,300 packages.  I'd recommend either working with us, or
> > > using stock debian.  Admittedly, my opinion is biased, but I hate to see
> > > people duplicating work for no good reason.  If you don't like ipkg..
> > > dpkg and apt and rpm are buildable with the system, and I expect would be
> > > useful without an inordinate amount of work.
> > > </shameless promotion> ;)
> >
> > the problem is that familiar is broke, they arent fixing stuff and many
> > new problems are being introduced.
> >
> > They refuse to test stuff after making seat of the pants changes to
> > packages (look at the latest kernel and ppp updates for an example of
> > this).
> >
> > familiar duplicates work in the way they do kernel development, they
> > also make it harder on themselves to try to get the kernel mains
> > streamed, but I get the distinct impression they dont want that, that
> > they want people to go to them not get a stock kernel, if their patches
> > were mainstreamed people wouldnt have to goto them.
>
> I'm not talking about kernel work here.  OE has numerous kernels for
> countless platforms.  I'm talking about distro work which is independent
> of platform.
> --

I was refering to the duplication of work, and cited that as 1 example.
Sometimes conversations move onto new topics as they are presented.  I
know I have found that true when I talk to people.  I guess people are
different where you are, or perhaps its just that you have constantly
throughout the last several emails looked for any little thing to attack
me on.  Because of your hostile attitude I am refusing to respond
further to you.  I have tried to make it clear to you, you still want to
attack, whatever.

You make this sound like I dont like ipkg, that isnt the case, I dont
like the packages that I get with it from familiar, the very thing I am
trying to get away from.  Why I posted on a debian list.  I am really
starting to think that you either dont speak english as a primary
language and that is the problem, you are just looking for grounds to
attack anyone who wants to defect away from the handhelds.org stuff, or
there is some other, possibly medically related issue at work here.

Whatever the case, I dont care.  You arent helping in any way so I am
ending this tangent.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com