Re: debian without familiar

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 01:15:31PM +0100, Étienne Bersac wrote:
> I want to install a debian system on my ipaq 3630, i have familiar (gpe)
> installed on. I think i will get a 1GB CF Card, (i have the reader).
> When debian will be installed, can I erase familiar (not the
> bootloader). And use the flash memory for something else ?

I'm assuming you're talking about the pocketworkstation.org version.

The default distribution runs in a chroot environment, so it needs a
minimal host native system to run from. That's the kernel and the shell
at least. By default it also doesn't run any hardware drivers, so pcmcia
and related tools need to be running in the native system.

If you stay with the chroot config, you can delete the GUI components to
free up flash space, but should keep the base system.

It's also possible to convert to a completely native Debian system,
booting the kernel from flash and using an init script to do a pivot_root
onto the SD card. That's trickier to set up, and there isn't any
documented way to do that at this time.

-Klaus