Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

* Klaus Weidner (kw@w-m-p.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 01:58:44PM -0800, Steve   wrote:
> > According to another post
> > (http://lists.debian.org/debian-handheld/2003/debian-handheld-200303/msg00007.html),
> > .ipk is compatible with .deb, but if that's true, does the feed exist
> > because the .ipk's are optimized and/or customized for the Zaurus?
>
> It's not directly compatible, meaning that you must use the 'ipkg' tool
> to install .ipk packages, and 'dpkg' for real Debian packages. The OZ
> build does not support dpkg/.deb, and even if you were to install the
> dpkg system on top of OZ you'd have a lot of trouble because the two
> packaging systems would not know about each other, and you'd be likely to
> get conflicts and/or confused dependencies. (That BTW is the reason why I
> decided on a chroot approach - I initially installed dpkg on top of the
> 5500's SHARP ROM, and it was a huge mess.)

Uh, you can install a debian/ARM .deb into OZ directly with ipkg.  The current ipk
format is identical to that of a .deb.

I do so fairly often when I'm feeling too lazy to add something to the
OE buildsystem, or just need to test something.
--
Chris Larson - kergoth at handhelds dot org
Embedded Linux Developer - clarson at ti dot com