Re: Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 01:58:44PM -0800, Steve   wrote:
> According to another post
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-handheld/2003/debian-handheld-200303/msg00007.html),
> .ipk is compatible with .deb, but if that's true, does the feed exist
> because the .ipk's are optimized and/or customized for the Zaurus?

It's not directly compatible, meaning that you must use the 'ipkg' tool
to install .ipk packages, and 'dpkg' for real Debian packages. The OZ
build does not support dpkg/.deb, and even if you were to install the
dpkg system on top of OZ you'd have a lot of trouble because the two
packaging systems would not know about each other, and you'd be likely to
get conflicts and/or confused dependencies. (That BTW is the reason why I
decided on a chroot approach - I initially installed dpkg on top of the
5500's SHARP ROM, and it was a huge mess.)

The two systems are compatible in the sense that it's fairly easy to
convert a .deb to a .ipk. That reminds me, does a tool similar to 'alien'
exist to install a .deb on OZ? It would probably only work though if you
ignore the specified dependencies and hope for the best.

> I'll have a 5600 in a couple days and OZ looks like an awesome option but
> having full-blown Debian would be ideal, or both!  I know that's basically
> what pocketworkstation talks about (having both and chrooting to debian),
> but all the actual Debian-for-Zaurus-type ROMs I've seen require/recommend
> the CROW ROM, which is not for the 5600.

I don't own a 5600 so I can't comment on it directly. The CROW ROM is
only a recommendation (not a requirement) for the 5500. On the SL-C7x0
you can use the default Sharp ROM.

I'm running Debian fully natively on the C760, using pivot_root to switch
over entirely to the SD card on boot. You could presumably do something
similar on the 5600.

Unfortunately I've had zero time to work on the pocketworkstation project
recently...

-Klaus