Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

* Major A (andras@users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
> > The OpenZaurus 2.4.21 collie (5000d/5500) tree is exactly that.  Some
> > drivers cleaned up, some thrown out completely and rewritten.  Lots of
> > hacks were removed, along with code sections that aren't even utilized
> > in the binaries used (e.g. XIP).
>
> Sounds very good. Where can I find that tree in its latest version?
> Buildroot? OE?

linux-cl.bkbits.net is my trees.  You can see it keeps large chunks of
changes independent to make managing them easier.  You're looking for
collie-2.4.

> It seems a bit odd to me that there's a kernel tree separate from the
> CVS at handhelds.org. With the similarities in today's hardware (all
> PXAs work the same to a large extent), I can't see a reason for this
> separation, it just means extra work. Which tree is more likely to
> make it into the mainstream kernel?

The handhelds.org folks have historically done a really bad job of
managing their trees with regard to upstream submission.  Upstream is
rmk's tree, not theirs, and they never cooperated with him well.

Thats changing now with the work they're doing for 2.6, and we'll be
working with them on the Zaurus support there.

> > The plan is to merge in the necessary bits from the
> > poodle/corgi/husky/shepherd trees (c7x0 and 5600) into our clean 2.4.21
> > tree, and then move on to pushing forward Zaurus support into 2.6.
>
> I'm willing to help, but it'll have to be next year because I've got a
> PhD to finish first. I'd start out working on 2.6 straight away,
> developing 2.4 is a waste of time IMHO.

Agreed.  We'll move to 2.4.21 first simply because its mostly complete
as is, any driver rewrites can be easily pushed forward to 2.6, and
we'll have something solid to hand the users.

> What's the status of your SD/MMC driver, BTW?

Hasn't been touched in a few months, not much to it really.  Its just a
matter of implementing the slot driver using the SPI interface on
Sharp's locomo chip.  Time is the major limiting factor.
--
Chris Larson - kergoth at handhelds dot org
Embedded Linux Developer - clarson at ti dot com