Re: Compiling for the Zaurus

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 05:08:10PM +0100, Michael Zehrer wrote:
> I thought it would be possible to change a few environment variables and
> then work the usual way with same toolchain that I use to compile my x86
> apps on debian?

No, the x86 version of GCC can't handle ARM code generation, you need a
specially configured cross-compiler to handle that. Also, the binutils
need to be aware of the different instruction set (i.e., the linker needs
to know how to fix up the cross references in the binary code), and the
libraries also need to be available in ARM format.

Note that if you're trying to build a kernel for the Zaurus, you'll
probably need the exactly right compiler version - the only one that
worked for me was 2.95.3. You can get a tarball of that from the
openzaurus project:

	http://openzaurus.org/official/toolchain/cross-2.95.3.tar.bz2

-Klaus