Re: Debian on Zaurus status update

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 03:33:05PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Why do you need a customized kernel?  For launching an alternate init
> process, you can use a kernel parameter: init=/sbin/debian-init.sh.

Yes, but I don't have a way to specify a kernel parameter other than
compiling a custom kernel. The default kernels get their command line
from the undocumented and hidden Sharp default bootloader, at least on
the C700.

> > - the bootloader then does a pivot_root and chroot, and proceeds execing
> >   the /sbin/init on the storage card.
>
> I had thought about a setup like this, but this kind of functionality I
> think belongs in the bootloader.  I had heard rumours of someone working on
> an improved bootloader for Zaurus devices, but I don't remember any names.

It's basically a workarond for now, since I don't have a way to modify
Sharp's bootloader. It should be okay though to do it as a shell script,
since it doesn't block any resources once it's done.

> I only have an SL-5500, so I can't help there.  Where does zapmd come from?
> Is there some reason why normal apmd does not work correctly?

It was part of a x11 package (using tinyx) for the Zaurus. It
communicates with a special device (/dev/fl) to control the light level.
A /dev/apm_bios exists on the Zaurus, I haven't tested yet if that's
compatible with apmd.

> > - Suspending with "irattach" running seems to crash the system. As a
> >   workaround, I've added a "killall irattach" to the suspend script.
>
> The standard Debian apmd has hook scripts to handle this kind of thing.

Okay, that would of course be the clean way of handling it.

> Ivan's opie packages are coming along nicely; they work quite well out of
> the box for me.

I'll give them a try soon.

> I'd like to experiment with your release; unfortunately my SD card is on
> loan for a project at work.  Maybe when I get it back.

Okay, I'll send a message to the list anyway once I have a release
ready for testing.

-Klaus