Re: why debian on a handheld ?

>>"Glenn" == Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> writes:

 > Im sure weve all seen the threads over the years about trying to shrink
 > base, while i would like to see it happen i think bureaucracy within
 > debian makes it a very difficult task.

	Do you have any pointer to that effect? As far as I am aware,
 the base system is whatever people who code the base system want it
 to be.

 > Debian policy makes it difficult to a shrink the system, steps
 > debian-installer had to make such as the use of udebs were met with
 > resistance all the way, and still arent considered offical packages.

	Really? I spend a lot of time on -policy, and I don't recall
 much ``resistance'' at all. And udebs are indeed part of debian
 (there is an effort being spent to make kernel-package make image
 udebs, for instance), and I don't understand how they are somehow
 unofficial.

 > Getting a debian package for busybox also took a long time.

	That depends purely on getting someone to volunteer to package
 it, not on a bunch of clerks beating down interested developers.

	manoj

--
"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?" Microsoft
spel chekar vor sail, worgs grate !! Felix von Leitner,