building packages the debian way

Hello again,

I'm stumped with broken hamlibs.  I've tried to install hamlibs from
testing using dpkg, however, it fails.  Bugger.  apt install -f fixed
this by removing them and all my ham apps.  Bugger.

My brother made a wonderful howto years back on building packages from
source the debian way.  He died and so did that helpful howto he made.

I know you can download source code and build it, but it isn't seen by
apt and gets tricky.

1. Is there a good howto that non-coders like me can use to hopefully
download and build the source(s) needed for hamlib and hamlib-utils?

2. Is there a trick to the final naming of the binary so apt won't try
to downgrade these to stable?

Tnx for any help/tips

73
Jaye ke6sls

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken