Re: Interested in joining Debian Hams to help from time to time

Re: Martin Herren - HB9FXX
> > Is that something that would be interesting to have in Debian?
>
> Long term yes. As of my understanding of Debian release mechanisms, once in Debian it will be harder to change the upstream version to a new one. So maybe wait a little for some more maturity of the project.

Yes and no. No because you can simply upload whatever new version you
have to unstable, and be done. Yes because "stable" means versions in
there are usually not updated except for bug fixes, so anything you
upload should have a quality level that you are confident with to have
"frozen" in a release.

> Going through the RFP list i saw rx_tools is listed: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=841022
>
> Petter Reinholdtsen already did some initial packaging work in 2016.
> Is he still around on this list ? If yes i'd be interested to know why it has been abandoned. Just lack of time or interest or any more serious issues ?

I'd suspect lack of time, but that's just a guess.

> This could be a first packaging project that shouldn't be too hard. My only concern would be that it doesn't seem maintained upstream anymore. It is definitively a useful tool when working with scripts that interface various SDR receivers. Some don't have a cli tool (SDRPlays...) or not always convenient to use in automated scripts (BladeRF...).

I haven't use these (or the rtl_* variants) yet, but it seems
interesting to have around as a tool. I'd say go for it unless we have
some alternative available in some other package.

73,
Christoph DF7CB