Help needed with solving an axcall-related problem

Hello,

I hope that this email isn't offtopic for debian-hams as most of the
list traffic seems to be packaging-related nowadays, but I assume that
AX.25 is so much of a niche topic that asking on another list wouldn't
make much sense.

I'm trying to get a "classic" packet radio (1200 bits/s AFSK) setup
working on Sid and could use some help with debugging a problem with
axcall as the whole world of AX.25 is rather new to me and most of the
existing information on the net is rather outdated.

What I would like to achieve is being able to access a system in AX.25
connected mode (similar to a classic packet BBS).  I'm using direwolf
as a virtual KISS-mode TNC to which I connect an AX.25 port with
kissattach (using a pseudo-tty).  This works so far that I can use this
AX.25 port in unconnected mode and send packets over it with "beacon"
from the ax25-tools package.  Where I am stuck is using connected mode
with axcall.  Trying to run axcall always results in the error
"AX25_WINDOW: Invalid argument" and I have no idea what could be going
wrong there.  Searching the web unfortunately hasn't brought up any
helpful information, so I'd be very grateful for any hints that you
could provide.

Following is an overview of relevant configuration data and debug
output on my system.  In case somebody should wonder about the
"strange" callsigns: I'm trying to use AX.25 over CB radio (which is
permitted in Germany on certain channels), therefore the callsigns
follow the usual conventions on CB radio which are different from the
callsign structure used in ham radio.  To make sure that the problem
isn't in the callsign format, I have run some tests with "proper" ham
radio callsigns (of course without connecting a radio to the computer)
and it doesn't change the behaviour.

cat /etc/ax25/axports
=====================
# /etc/ax25/axports
#
# The format of this file is:
#
# name callsign speed paclen window description
#
#
#1	OH2BNS-1	1200	255	2	144.675 MHz (1200  bps)
#2	OH2BNS-9	38400	255	7	TNOS/Linux  (38400 bps)
cb	13CB99-1	1200	255	2	CBPR (1200bps)

grep ^MYCALL /etc/direwolf.conf
===============================
MYCALL 13CB99

direwolf log
============
Dire Wolf version 1.6
Includes optional support for:  gpsd hamlib cm108-ptt

Reading config file /etc/direwolf.conf
Audio device for both receive and transmit: default  (channel 0)
Channel 0: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 44100 sample rate.
Note: PTT not configured for channel 0. (Ignore this if using VOX.)
Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...
Ready to accept KISS TCP client application 0 on port 8001 ...
Virtual KISS TNC is available on /dev/pts/11
Created symlink /tmp/kisstnc -> /dev/pts/11

kissattach
==========
# kissattach /dev/pts/11 cb
AX.25 port cb bound to device ax0
# ifconfig ax0
ax0: flags=67<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>  mtu 255
        ax25 13CB99-1  txqueuelen 10  (AMPR AX.25)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Test unconnected mode
=====================
$ /usr/sbin/beacon -s -d 13CB42 cb "test message"
--> axlisten -t -a -c
cb: fm 13CB99-1 to 13CB42 ctl UI^ pid=F0(Text) len 12
0000  test message
-> direwolf log
Invalid transmit channel 2 from KISS client app.
Are you using AX.25 for Linux?  It might be trying to use a modified
version of KISS which uses the port (channel) field differently than the
original KISS protocol specification.  The solution might be to use
a command like "kissparms -c 1 -p radio" to set CRC none mode.
Another way of doing this is pre-loading the "kiss" kernel module with CRC disabled:
sudo /sbin/modprobe -q mkiss crc_force=1

Set CRC none mode
=================
# kissparms -c 1 -p cb

Test unconnected mode
=====================
$ /usr/sbin/beacon -s -d 13CB42 cb "second test message"
--> axlisten -t -a -c
cb: fm 13CB99-1 to 13CB42 ctl UI^ pid=F0(Text) len 19
0000  second test message
-> direwolf log
[0L] 13CB99-1>13CB42:second test message

Test connected mode
===================
$ LANG=en axcall cb 13CB42
GW4PTS AX.25 Connect v1.11
AX25_WINDOW: Invalid argument
$ LANG=en axcall cb 13CB42-1
GW4PTS AX.25 Connect v1.11
AX25_WINDOW: Invalid argument

Regards,
Karsten
--
Hiermit widerspreche ich ausdrücklich der Nutzung sowie der Weitergabe
meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der Werbung sowie der Markt-