Re: seeking RFS for pat v0.12.0-1

On Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 04:26:11PM -0800, tony mancill wrote:
> The Hamradio Maintguide section on the VCS [1] refers to pristine-tar in
> all of its examples, but doesn't explicitly state that it *must* be
> used, and DEP-14 [2] doesn't give any explicit guidance beyond
> specifying the branch name.
>
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/hamradio-maintguide/-/blob/master/vcs.rst
> [2] https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/
>
> If there is a team standard for this, we can update hamradio-maintguide.

Not sure if there is a team standard, but expect one for this situation may be
a challenge given the multiple variables here.

The `pat' package is written in golang.  While that package itself is
maintained by debian-hams team, given that it's a ham radio centric utility,
the rest of the supporting library packages are maintained by the
debian-golang team.  Obviously this results in a mix of cultures.  Part of
that team has the approach to not use pristine-tar (
https://go-team.pages.debian.net/workflow-changes.html#wf-2017-11-pristine-tar),
but even that group is a mix.

Given my earlier focus on getting the golang dependencies working and
packaged, that influenced the packaging style I used here.  Add to the mix
that I'm a relatively new Debian community member still learning, and that the
DD Taowa has been on VAC.

Of course, with the above stated, since this package _IS_ maintained by
debian-hams, advise if there is a consensus that it should be packaged
differently.

> Yes, I am able to build now too.  I'm not sure why you're getting
> prompted to sign changes.  When I look at the manpage for sbuild.conf,
> the defaults passed to dpkg-buildpackage should disable signing:

When I use sbuild directly or gbp builder=sbuild things work ok.  It was with
the default "gbp buildpackage" (possibly using default debuilder) that I was
prompted for signing.  I typically always use sbuild, and have no need for
keys at this time, so I'm not concerned per these errors currently.

> I am going to add the debian/gbp.conf file and made a few minor tweaks
> based on the output of "lintian --pendantic" and then will upload and
> tag (so be sure to pull debian/sid after you see the upload).

Thanks for the gbp and lintian polish.  I had those issues in queue to
review, and appreciate the progress.  This upload is the culmination of many
months of effort with support from multiple people.  Again, thanks all!

happy hacking this new year,
donfede

Fede Grau