AX25 fault finding help

Iain and I spent some time last night playing with kernel AX.25 to not much success.

I think we bounced into this bug [1], amongst others I'm not so sure about.

We were unable to make a keyboard->keyboard contact using `axcall`.
If I called his station, I would drop into the axcall talk interface and he would get an 'address in use' issue when he tried the reciprocal call. (as we understand it, we both need to axcall the other to manage to talk).
My AX25d wasn't playing nicely so I couldn't provide uronode for him to try that, but I think that's more an issue with config on my laptop than anything else.

If I then disconnected, I'd get a socket stuck in a `Listening` state, and if I killed kissattach I'd get a listening socket with no interface that I couldn't kill.

We did successfully give ax0 a static IP address and managed both icmp ping and http, so not all was lost, and that suggests it's not just all the software's fault either. I think we ran into the packet duplication issue that I'm sure I've seen before, but that's a whole different set of bugs!

This has all lead to me being curious - is anyone using the tools that Debian provides in Testing currently? Is it working for you?

Have we come across a documentation issue (my reference and configs are my prior experimentation with this at [2]), a technical issue, or a combination of both? Over the years I've seen & heard lots of complaints about how broken kernel ax25 is post 3.18 kernel, but I'd like to check that we're not just following that assumption blindly.

If we can document a known good configuration for the current kernel and tools that's reproducible, then we know the toolset is usable - does anyone have one that we can use as a starting point?

If we can't, I dunno - I don't think I'm technically adept enough to burn the world and start from scratch (as has been suggested), but surely there's enough eyes to do something!

[1] https://marc.info/?l=linux-hams&m=154492126607013&w=2
[2] https://www.foxk.it/blog/2017-01-radio-node/

--
  Hibby