Re: LimeSDR with Debian

On 22/05/17 22:00, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> A bit expensive for a very low power rig. Filtering might be
> "interesting" given that it is so wideband - intended as a
> mobile phone network repeater in the GHz range, really.

Filtering on the RX side or the TX side?

I'm using my ATU and up-converter to provide some RX filtering into my
RTL-SDR.  Will the ATU alone provide sufficient attenuation for RX on
LimeSDR?

> Ubuntu have produced snap packages.
>
> It should work with gqrx - as ever, the problem is getting decent
> transmit - see also HackRF which has similar problems, though the
> LimeSDR is at least full duplex. Almost nobody is using GNURadio
> for good quality transmit - it requires RF, DSP and (potentially)
> FPGA expertise to get anywhere close at the moment - the number of
> amateurs with good expertise is miniscule, the number of professionals
> is probably the number of amateurs plus ten or twenty.

I had imagined using a QRP amplifier for about 30 dB gain, taking it
from 10mW up to something in the range 5W - 10W.  The amp would need to
have some filtering (LPF?) for anything that goes to the antenna.  Will
a good choice of amp be enough, or what other problems would I possibly
need to solve on the TX side?

> To be honest, there may be more mileage in producing Linux drivers
> for some of the more mainstream SDR e.g. the SunSDR QRP?

Do you know anything about the API, the price or where to get them?

Would you consider any of the sound card SDR solutions to be more
suitable for working the HF bands?  One concern for me is to try and
develop a highly portable setup that I can take to events.

Regards,

Daniel