gqrx with upconverters

I'm trying out gqrx 2.5.1-1~bpo8+1 from backports

It is receiving 2m and 70cm with the RTL-SDR stick

I added the CT1FFU upconverter and so far haven't received anything from
HF-land

The upconverter manual[1] says it has a 106.25 MHz local oscillator, so
I was initially using the value -106.25 in the gqrx configuration.  I
subsequently discovered the manual is wrong:
- the RTL-SDR doesn't see anything on 106.25
- the upconverter I received has a 40 MHz crystal on the board in the
same place as the 106.25 crystal in the photo
- the RTL-SDR detects the 40 MHz signal and if I pull the power from the
upconverter, the 40 MHz signal disappears

Using -40.0 MHz in the gqrx config, I still don't find anything on HF though

Are there any known issues with gqrx with this type of setup?

Is it necessary to add band pass filters or LNAs with the upconverters
or should they work standalone?

Can anybody make any other comments on testing it?

1. http://www.ct1ffu.com/site/images/stories/FCD5a.pdf