Hamlib status in Debian

Hi Debian Hams,

there are the hamlib* packages in Debian repository, and derivates
of Debian (eg: Ubuntu, Mint, ...). All system uses a very old
hamlib version: 1.2.15. This version of hamlib has committed at
2012-11-01. The current version of hamlib is 3.1.

I need the newest version of hamlib on a Raspberry-Pi system (it
also contains 1.2.15). I've compiled it from source (fetched with
git), but I interesting about this package, and on my Raspbian
Jessie, I've made a full hamlib package, based on 3.1 SourceForge
source.

I'ld be happy if I could help you to maintain the hamlib package.
I'm totally new as "maintainer", I mean I've never did it before.

First, I think it would be clean the version numbering. Now,
these packages are in repository:

Package: libhamlib++-dev
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib-dev
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib-doc
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib-utils
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib2
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib2++c2
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib2-perl
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: libhamlib2-tcl
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4
Package: python-libhamlib2
Version: 1.2.15.3-1ubuntu4

As you can see, the naming convention is not so consistent. There
are some packages with simple "hamlib" pattern, and there are
some with hamlib2. I don't know, what was the reason that so
envolved.

I think that would be switch to a new naming convention: the new
package hierarchy called by hamlib3, eg: libhamlib3++-dev,
libhamlib3-dev, ... libhamlib3-perl, python-libhamlib3. All
packages could built from 3.1 Git version.

But there are several "dummy" (?) package, which named hamlib1,
hamlib2, hamlib3, hamlib4 - why are these package names exists?
I see, that all of them are virtual packages, but why had created
them?

What do you think about these? How can I help to you to start to
make the new packages?

Thanks, 73:
Ervin, HA2OS

--