Re: debian-hams task SDR detail

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 05:49:59PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I was looking at
> http://blends.debian.org/hamradio/tasks/sdr
>
> and it lists a whole range of SDR related packages
>
> Is there any wiki about SDR on Debian?

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/hamradio-handbook/

This desperately needs love.

> Out of all the packages listed:
>
> - do any provide a ready-to-run receiver, or do they all require the use
> of additional scripts or programming?  E.g. GNU Radio requires the user
> to download one of several available flow graph samples

lysdr for softrock SDRs and quisk for HackRF/RTL SDRs.

> - do any provide a ready-to-run transceiver?

This is more difficult.

> Furthermore, do you envisage it is possible to make a ready-to-run SDR
> receiver or transciever using a Debian Hamradio Blend live image or if
> not currently possible, would it be achievable for a GSoC student to
> fill in some or all of the gaps to make this happen?

I'm sure Maitland (bottoms@debian.org) would appreciate help with gnuradio,
as this is a big task and he pretty much does this on his own. Beyond that,
locating packages to be packaged and making the ones we have easier to use
and documenting some quick starts in the handbook.

Thanks,
Iain.