Subject: WSJT/WSPR Python3-Pillow 2.6.1 Issue
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:50:28 -0600
From: KI7MT <ki7mt@yahoo.com>
To: WSJT software development <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>

Hello All,

While updating WSJT/WSPR build documentation, I've come full circle on
the Python3-Pillow 2.6.1 segfault problem that many have reported. I'm
need of assistance in trying to debug / generate a work around, as this
has gone well past my level of knowledge with Python.

This issue affects both Windows and *Nix, but "seems" to be isolated to
the Pillow 2.6.1.

THE PROBLEM

When using Pillow 2.6.1, WSPR and WSJT will both segfault, almost
immediately, either at decode time for WSPR ( sample *.wav file or T=50
to 55 of the 2min cycle ) or at the end of the first FSK441 cycle (
first whole minute? ) with WSJT. Neither application present the issue
when using Pillow < or > 2.6.1 on my test distro's.

TESTING PERFORMED

I've performed several tests with various versions of Pillow, primarily
on Linux. On my Ubuntu based installs, after installing JTSDK Nix, those
distros using python3-pil 2.6.1 ( Ubuntu 14.10, Debian Jessie for
example ) will build correctly but fail as above.

Removing python3-pil and python3-pil.imagetk, installing the required
build dependencies:

libtiff4-dev libjpeg8-dev zlib1g-dev libfreetype6-dev liblcms2-dev
libwebp-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev

then installing ( via pip3 ) Pillow==2.5.3, ==2.7.0 or ==2.8.1 ( the
latest Pillow release ), neither WSJT nor WSPR present the segfault.

At this point, I would think the import instructions in WSPR.py an
WSJT.py are OK, but I don't know where or how to take this any further.

Without getting this resolved, we will not be able to update WSJT / WSPR
in any distro using Pillow 2.6.1 as the default package (Ubuntu 14.10
and Debian Jessie at present ). I believe there are Fedora based distros
also using Pillow-2.6.1, but I am not as familiar with their package
structures, so I cannot say for sure which ones.

Any input or debugging suggestions would be much appreciated.

73's
Greg, KI7MT