Subject: soundmodem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:28:21 -0400
From: mtewey@polr.com <mtewey@polr.com>
To: colint@debian.org

Hello Colin,

  First, thanks for the recent soundmodem updates.

  I'm writing because of the dependency problems caused by the new
changes in Debian in the hope you may hold the "right fix".

  The trouble is with the relation between the soundmodem and
soundmodemconfig packages.

  I surmise this started with the package split, such that the modem
could be installed without the GUI configurator to avoid pulling in (via
deps) an otherwise unneeded X server or desktop just to generate the xml
config file for the modem, or run the diagnostics.  Maybe better
dependency resolution would just install X11 client libs?  I'd think
there would have to be a common way this is done for machines that only
use remote displays and only when required.

  The soundmodemconfig package in debian "Breaks" and "Replaces"
soundmodem <= 0.18-1.  Now that we are up to 0.20, the problem is showing.

  This is more or less catastrophic for soundmodem.  Dependency
resolution will not allow installation of both soundmodem and
soundmodemconfig.  Also, in the future, should soundmodem change it's
configuration semantics, it will be unclear which configuration version
goes with which soundmodem.

  I think the quickest fix, which would allow folks to upgrade, would
be to re-release soundmodemconfig every time soundmodem changes to avoid
this dependency hell.  Perhaps it would be best to synchronize version
numbers between the two packages regardless of which one changed to
avoid such issues.

  Until this is fixed, I don't expect anyone will benefit from your
recent changes, which the whole community thanks you for managing.

  It's not just the config file either, the diagnostics seem just as
important.

  Thanks Again!  May the source be with you (both soundmodem and
soundmodemconfig

~marty  AC2AT