News from the Software Defined Radio world

Hello debian-hams:

First, let me get this out of the way, I'm sorry for not posting
on this list more often. For one thing, I should have been
shamelessly promoting FreeDV operation.

I want you all to know what I've been up to with getting
Software Defined Radio capabilities into Debian:

While I did help get GNU Radio into the Wheezy release, the
rate of change has been such that I can't feel good about
suggesting the stable versions of gnuradio should be used.
To solve that problem, I have recently been able to get
gnuradio 3.7.2.1 into Debian's wheezy-backports.

But wait, there's more! I only hope that everyone on
debian-hams knows about rtl-sdr and that many already
have these inexpensive and reasonably well available
USB parts. You should know that you can
`apt-get install rtl-sdr` for unstable, Jessie/Testing,
and even wheezy-backports.

At this time there is no "killer app" for transmitting on
the Ham bands coming from the GNU Radio and Osmocom.org
communities. However, there are two good general purpose
receiving applications that are ready for use in Debian:
gqrx and sdrangelove. In a perfect world I'd like to have
gqrx-sdr available in wheezy-backports, and I am still
working on initial packaging of sdrangelove.

Let's just review the current list of supported hardware
for those receiver applications, thanks to the Osmocom
project and various other hardware support projects:
 - FUNcube Dongle through libgnuradio-fcd
 - FUNcube Dongle Pro+ through gr-fcdproplus
 - sysmocom OsmoSDR Devices through libosmosdr
 - RTL2832U based DVB-T dongles through librtlsdr
 - RTL-TCP spectrum server (see librtlsdr project)
 - MSi2500 based DVB-T dongles through libmirisdr
 - gnuradio .cfile input through libgnuradio-blocks
 - RFSPACE SDR-IQ, SDR-IP, NetSDR (incl. X2 option)
 - Great Scott Gadgets HackRF through libhackrf
 - Nuand LLC bladeRF through libbladeRF library
 - Ettus USRP Devices through Ettus UHD library
 - Fairwaves UmTRX through Fairwaves' fork of UHD

The impression I want you to take away from this is that
gnuradio is not just about USRPs anymore. (Not that it
ever has been, but that has been a stubborn meme, and it's
time that it just fades away.) GNU Radio is the Universal
SDR platform for the Universal Operating System.

I just thought you should know about these things,
-Maitland