Re: gqrx fails to run

On Saturday, October 04, 2014 12:51:31 Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 09:16:10AM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> > Have you checked to see if you have a second copy of the library on your
> > system somewhere? Maybe in /usr/local/lib or similar.
>
> I did indeed have an older version in /usr/local/lib. I've removed the
> directory from ld.so.conf and run ldconfig but this has not fixed the
> problem.
>
> Iain.

Okay that sounds like you may have gqrx installed locally outside of package
management /and/ installed via package management at the same time and causing
a conflict.  If you still have the source used to install gqrx locally, run
'make uninstall', or see if you can uninstall the local version of gqrx
manually.

In case you haven't heard of this, for installing software locally I'd
recommend looking at the 'checkinstall' package; this allows installing
software that is unpackaged and yet makes a virtual Debian package (similar to
what 'equivs' ca do manually) containing the list of files installed via 'make
install' after compiling.  This allows the Debian package management to know
what files are installed and also to easily remove locally installed software.
The procedure for installing locally changes only in a minor way:

   ./configure
   make
   checkinstall make install

The last command watches what gets installed via 'make install' (or whatever
install command is used instead) and then prompts for the package name and
version.

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle