Re: node: pre-freeze upload?

* Carsten Hey [2012-06-14 02:09 +0200]:
> It updates the packaging from debhelper compat level 2 to 8, updates the
> build-system ...

The existing Makefile is replaced during configuration with one
generated from Makefile.in.  Makefile.include is completely ignored.

The old (upstream) Makefile removes /usr/bin/node if it exists, this is
fixed in the generated one.

> I am not able to test node, but if rebuilding 0.3.2-7.1 results in
> a working package, then the prepared 0.3.2-8 is fine too.  It would be
> great it you could upload 0.3.2-8 based on [1] or if you could test the
> package and tell me to upload it.

Since 2001 postinst and preinst disable the node entry in
/etc/inetd.conf, even if the package is upgraded.  I did not test an
upgrade, but a reinstallation, which disabled the enabled service as
I had expected after looking at the maintainer scripts.

As node breaks itself (if used via inetd) on upgrades, even uploading an
identical package with a new version number would possibly break things.

I wonder if node is used via inetd at all.  If it would be used this
way, such a bug presumably should have been reported earlier.

Regards
Carsten