Re: APT-GET PROBLEM

* On 2012 02 Jan 13:12 -0600, Doug wrote:
> Using Debian 6 and trying to load the lib type files and this is
> what I get. Not sure
> why and how to overcome it. the dpkg/lock file is empty. Can anyone
> tell me what I
> have missed or how I can fix this.
>

> root@ve5da:~# apt-get install libncurses5-dev -y
> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource
> temporarily unavailable)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
> another process using it?
> root@ve5da:~#

Either another dpkg process is still running (ps ax | grep dpkg) or the
lockfile was left behind when an instance of dpkg or apt-get crashed/was
killed.  If there is no dpkg or apt-get process running, it's probably
safe to delete the lockfile and try again.  The fact that the message
indicates the lockfile is open leads me to think that a running process
is still holding it open.

73, de Nate >>