Re: Is anyone maintaining (the ham radio tool) node?

On 17/11/2011, at 7:04 AM, Joey Hess wrote:
> A similar case with a large userbase is the syslog daemon. Debian used
> to ship standard with a /usr/sbin/syslogd. Then it was replaced with a
> /usr/sbin/rsyslog, from a different package. Since rsyslog is Priority
> important, it gets installed automatically, and this removes sysklogd;
> you can verify this happened to most users on [1]. However, we have
> not lost any sleep over users who might have something that ran
> /usr/sbin/syslogd directly, and I've never seen this inconvenience a
> single user.

Yep, and what an epic clusterf*** that is :(  I have a number of clients who have a mix of debian lenny and squeeze, and ubuntu 8 and 10 LTS boxes  - some newly installed, some upgraded, etc etc, and maintaining scripts to check whether a server is running sysklogd or rsyslog, while doing automated config pushes and syslog restarts for logfile archival, etc has been a fairly serious headache.

--DG