Re: TCP/IP via Ham readio?

Most of the people I've met doing this aren't doing it on the ham bands. They're doing it with surplus Wireless ISP (WISP) gear, like Motorola Canopy or Trango Wireless unlicensed 2.4, 5.3, 5.8 GHz equipment.

I've personally seen a 21 mile shot done with Canopy gear for a temporary IP link to a tower site for a couple of weeks. Works well, and anyone who can aim an antenna can do it.

Hams can't really "compete" in bandwidth or usefulness, unfortunately, since we can't carry commercial content, can't encrypt the traffic, etc.

Nate WY0X