sponsorship request - was: Re: Is the hamlib deb package orphaned?

On 11/11/2009 12:44 AM, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:05:07 +0100, Stephane Fillod <f8cfe@free.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is the hamlib deb package orphaned? Joop, are you still in charge of it?
>>
>> I've seen the error "orphaned-package-should-not-have-uploaders"[1]
>> on the lintian page[2].
>> [1]
>>
> http://lintian.debian.org/tags/orphaned-package-should-not-have-uploaders.html
>> [2]
> http://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/packages@qa.debian.org.html#hamlib
>> The current maintainer is "Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>"
>> according to BTS[3]. Should it be set to Debian Hamradio Maintainers,
>> unless someone would like to stand in for?
>>

> Hi Stephane!
>
> yes, I have orphaned all of my packages. I will be leaving the Debian
> project by the end of this year due to personal reasons (nothing
> serious).
>
> I wanted to announce this on the list lateron, but I might as well
> announce it now.... I am sorry if this causes any of you trouble....
>
> The standard procedure for this is to set the package manager to
> Debian QA. Anyone can then take over the package by sending
> an ITA (Intend To Adopt) to the wnpp package or doing a new upload
> and change the package owner in debian/control. See for an ITA example
> the bug report at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=554097
>
> So people... go ahead and take a look at
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pa3aba@debian.org
> feel free to adopt any of the packages listed further down in the
> list, marked with an 'O' for Orphaned.
>
>> NB: I know next to nothing to the administrativa of debian packages :-(
>>
>> [3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=hamlib
>>
>> BTW, there's a new upstream version 1.2.10 available. It fixes #543465,
>> and the new features will be most likely expected by users of
>> gpredict,fldigi,...
>>

> It's been fun working for Debian (almost 12 years), I will
> be keeping an eye on the list.
>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Stephane - F8CFE
>

> Regards,
> Joop PG4I

I'm not currently a debian maintainer or developer, but I'd like to maintain
hamlib, and also fldigi (which hasn't officially been orphaned yet by Joop).
I'm involved with upstream for both of those. I'm also interested in tqsllib
and trustedqsl, as I am currently working on fixing some bugs and frustrations
in tqsl.

I'm interested in helping with more packages in the future but this would be
a good initial undertaking.

Is there anyone on this list who would sponsor me and upload changes for these
packages? My goal is to become a debian maintainer/developer.

Here's a brief list of my experience:

I've been a software developer for 25 years, with experience in many areas.
For the last nine years I have exclusively worked on FOSS - eight years
with Red Hat and the last year with Canonical. At Red Hat I worked in support
engineering, then maintained all user-space crypto packages for Fedora and
RHEL. For the last year I have been a kernel engineer working for Canonical
on Ubuntu Linux.

I have extensive experience with RPM packaging, and helped with the effort
made by the fedora-hams team to package many amateur radio applications for
Fedora.

I a contributor to the upstream hamlib project, and wrote the back end
for the Yaesu FT-767GX radio. I am involved with the fldigi project as
an alpha testing team member.

I have worked with debian packaging for the last year at Canonical, and
have begun making fixes to some amateur radio packages and keeping them
in my Ubuntu Personal Package Archive, in preparation to providing these
fixes to the debian-hams maintainers and the upstream maintainers.

I have been an advocate of FOSS for the last decade, and have made
presentations at conferences, hamfests, and amateur radio club meetings
about FOSS applications. I have written articles for our amateur radio
club newsletter about using linux and FOSS applications for amateur radio.

I am an Ubuntu Member. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

I initiated the ubuntu-hams team, mailing list, and wiki pages.
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hams

I respect the debian community, and wish to be a contributing member.

Thanks,

Steve Conklin AI4QR