soundmodem on Nokia N800

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has done any work on getting soundmodem
running on the Nokia N800. I have been messing around a bit trying to
get it working by building it from the Debian sources, and it builds
OK, but when I run it I get

sm[2607]: Unable to set period time 15000 for capture: Invalid argument

I'll have to start delving into the ALSA API, I expect, based on this
error. If anyone has any experience with soundmodem on the N800 (or
N810), it would be great to hear from you. I'm trying to build a
portable packet system out of the N800 and a Yaesu VX-7R.

73,
Frank Smith
VE1FIS