Re: Do we need fldigi?

Hi Donald,

> So far, I have been unable to use the current issue of Fldigi.
> Everything seems to work except the waterfall image.

Does the waterfall redraw its cursor and marker when you move or click
the mouse? Does text appear in the receive widget when the decoder is
unsquelched? If so, you may simply need to adjust the two signal level
range controls at the bottom of the waterfall. Try values around -10 and
50 respectively.

> Also, I have a consistent beat, beat, beat sound, like a clock ticking
> seconds. I can't get rid of that.

This suggests a sample rate problem. Some sound card / sound system
combinations claim to support multiple sample rates, where in fact only
the "native" rate works well.

Using the PortAudio backend, select the desired Capture and Playback
(preferably ALSA) devices, then in the "Audio settings" tab select
"Native" in both sample rate menus.

> I have used Older versions of Fldigi, which I can no longer locate,
> and I have used the version loaded with Puppy.

Older versions are still available at fldigi's BerliOS project page:

  http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fldigi/

> Are these problems unique to my machine?

Unfortunately, no :-) Sample rate problems have also been reported by
other users. The next release of fldigi will default to PortAudio (if
available) and use the default/native sample rate unless told otherwise.

The default waterfall display values have also been set to -20 and 70
for Upper Signal Range and Signal Range resp., which should result in
far fewer "dark waterfall" reports.

> I'll appreciate any suggestions.  Donald Corley, WA5KTX

HTH.

73,
Stelios, M0GLD.