soundmodem kernel module

Hello, I have been playing aound with the idea of trying
my hand at a packet bbs. I have the latest debian stable
loaded on a Compaq Presario. When installing I opted for
the web server and file server task selections only. I really
don't want to install all the Xwindow related stuff just to
get the soundmodem package installed. I read that there maybe
an older LKM, soundmodem.o, available. Does anyone know where this
can be found? And if so, will it work with the 2.6 kernel with
modules labeled as *.ko? Does anyone have the source available
so I can try my hand at compiling the LKM. I downloaded the debian
linux-source and did not find a /drivers/net/soundmodem directory.
Thanks,

--
Paul Lane         |Debian-Etch "Like a Rock"
KC9EYE            |GNU/Linux 2.6.18-6-486
                  |Mutt 1.5.13 (2006-08-11)
Amateur Radio and Linux "like" Peas and Carrots
http://www.qsl.net/kc9eye
"Freedom is the light of all sentient beings."
 Optimus Prime