Trying to tune KPSK with aumix

I'm having trouble getting any waterfall as all in KPSK, but probably
as first step should tune the audio (Audigy card), using the KPSK
Handbook. However, I'm not sure of what I'm doing.

I have a completely blank waterfall (no waterfall, just a flat grey
area). In the KPSK handbook, I'm told to adjust Settings ->
Sensitivity slider. I have no such option under KPSK Settings.

In alsamixer, I'm told to set soundcard volume level to the
minimum. Does this refer to alsamixer Playback view, Master control?

I'm told to set soundcard "Synth" setting to about 25% of max, but I
have no such "Synth" control in alsamixer.

Haines Brown KB1GRM