Re: New MEPIS user

KB3MOW wrote:
Greetings! My name is Dave, callsign is KB3MOW. I'm just getting started in
LINUX with MEPIS, and have a couple of questions if I can.

I downloaded the file "Icom", hoping to be able to control my Icom IC-746
through LINUX via the CV-17 cable. Unfortunately, I'm an extreme noob at
LINUX, so I can't seem to get it to work. If I can get it working with
gmfsk, I can probably figure out how to do others. The CV-17 works great
with Windows, so I'm sure it's something I'm missing.

Any help would be gratefully accepted!

Tnx es 73
Dave
KB3MOW

To get rig control working in gMFSK you will need hamlib and hamlib-util. I'm not familiar at all with Mepis but both should be available in the software repository for Mepis. If Mepis is a Debian derivative all that will be necessary is to install gMFSK and that should bring the 2 in with it. If you are compiling from source you will need to do from the cli

./configure --enable-hamlib- make- make install (as root)

Then from the settings > preferences tab down to hamlib and enter the correct information. Any ham radio related app in Linux uses hamlib, that is any that I have used. (Xlog-Xdx-gMFSK-tlf-Xtlf) just to name a few. GL 73

Ed W3NR