Re: Generating an /etc/apt/sources.list - was: wiki for debian-hams package maintainence

On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:54 AM, gena@genaj.plus.com wrote:

Hi

Whoops, I should have changed the subject line.  But the newbie wanted
to view ax25 packages and couldn't because they were not included upon
DVD 1.  Thus his apt database didn't know of the ax25 packages.

Ah, I wondered what was the connection (it is probably best to initiate a new message rather than replying even if you do change the subject, as some folks use threaded mail readers).

Apt-spy won't help with DVD contents, it just helps select the Debian archive mirror which has the fastest connection. I haven't done a recent fresh Debian installation recently (dist-upgrades go so well I haven't had to do so), but I believe that it will include lines in / etc/apt/sources.list for the necessary entries (maybe they are commented out, however). In any case, a line like:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib

should work (some may prefer to leave out non-free and contrib; it won't affect any ax25 packages). With a working network connection, 'apt-get update' should add these packages (and thousands more) to the list of available packages, which can be installed with apt-get, synaptic, etc.

73,
Bob N7XY

Thus I wrode:

I wonder if apt-spy may be alittle easier?

Package: apt-spy
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 176
Maintainer: Stephen Stafford <bagpuss@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.1-14
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libcurl3 (>= 7.14.1-1)
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-spy/apt-spy_3.1-14_i386.deb
Size: 28276
MD5sum: 7dd766a5f5c80e42f5315e9ed15bc1a0
 Parses a list of mirrors and tests each of the mirrors for bandwidth.
 Writes a /etc/apt/sources.list file based on the responses it gets.
Tag: admin::package-management, filetransfer::ftp, filetransfer::http,
interface::commandline, network::scanner, protocol::ftp, protocol::http,
role::sw:utility, suite::debian, use::downloading, use::scanning

Hope that clarifys things.
Gena 2E0AXU