Re: Soundcard packet and permissions

vk4akm wrote:

G'day
I am new to Linux and this might be the wrong forum for this query, if it is please tell me.

I have been fighting with Linux (now Debian 3.1) and soundcardmodem packet applications for some time and have eventually managed to decode some packets using the "listen" command.
However the only way I can do this is as a superuser.
Any attempt to link a terminal program like LinPac or TNOS will not work.
I have found that all the "/usr/" directories and files are either owned by or in the group owned by "root" so I assume as a user I am not allowed access. As soundmodem resides in /usr/sbin/ any script I write as a user will not start it. To my limited understanding of Linux for me to link "root" to start "soundmodem" would defeat the whole purpose of the superuser level. I can only think that I must have installed Debian incorrectly (although I mostly followed the automatic installation procedure).

Generally packages like gmfsk etc have worked with little effort after downloading and installing with the Synaptic Package manager, so something must be right.

Any help would be appreciated.

regards
Ken
vk4akm

G'day Ken,

Change permissions on listen to 4755.

Do "chmod 4755 listen" (no " ") and that will sort it out.

Ray, VK2TV