Scanning software for newbie?

Hi, all.

I just found a link to this list, but do not yet subscribe to it.

I have been using Linux since '97, and have often been intrigued by amateur radio.  I am getting to the point now where I would like to 'dip my toe in the water'.

I believe that it is possible to listen to transmissions (and not transmit), sometimes known as scanning.  I was wondering, in order to get a feel for the community, is it possible to install some sort of receiver into my PC (or Sparc), and use it with GPL software, to listen to transmissions?

Should this subject still prove interesting, I intend to study for a licence, and get a proper 'radio shack'.

Your advice would really be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.