Re: Getting out of KISS mode

* Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> [2006 Mar 06 16:27 -0600]:
> On a related topic:
>
> Some local hams were talking about putting a KPC-3+ TNC in "Converse"
> mode on the air locally here for some APRS stuff they were doing.
>
> It's been years and years since I did any packet, but were they really
> meaning KISS mode?
>
> They said they needed to hit "K" from a KPC-3's command prompt, if
> that's any help.

K is shorthand for CONV as I recall.  To get a later KPC or KAM (from
firmware version 5.0 onward) the command is INT KISS and the RESET.  In
other words, one has to *want* to go into KISS mode.

> They were bemoaning that they couldn't keep the TNC *in* that mode, and
> their software for WX monitoring needed it.

Most likely the outgoing data stream has an embedded Ctl-C that is
bringing the TNC out of CONVerse mode and back into command mode.
Transparent mode is similar to CONVerse except that the TNC is eight
bit clean.  To get out of transparent mode, the TNC must receive three
Ctl-C characters.  If I recall, Ctl-C could be escaped, but I might be
confusing that with KISS mode which required certain values to be
escaped in the data stream (this is all from memory).

Then there is Host mode...

> So... I figured I'd go ask the Debian packet gurus and see what they're
> doing incorrectly and try to help them out...

I'd suggest they try transparent mode, unless the software expects to
be able to put the TNC into command mode with one Ctl-C.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"