Fwd: GW-List - SUSE 10 / ax25

Maybe this is of help:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian <n1uro@n1uro.com>
Date: Dec 22, 2005 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: GW-List - SUSE 10 / ax25
To: AmprGate@cows.net

Doug;

> Anyone running SUSE 10 and/or kernel 2.6 and ax25 utils? They do not seem
> to be on the list of supplied utilities anymore. Does the old (last update
> 1994) set work?

There's known kernel level issues in both 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels in
regards to ax25 in general. Thomas DL9SAU was working with another
fellow in regards to doing updates on the ax25-* packages but I don't
know what they plan on doing for kernel related issues.

Here's a sniplet of what Thomas posted to the pbbs community recently:

But first, please let me mention some important points with linux kernel
2.4.x and kernel 2.6.x in general.

kernel 2.4.x
------------

the ax25 stack in kernel 2.4.x has great problems which may cause an
kernel oops, which may leave the ax25 stack unusable.
a symptom may be, that with "netstat -an" the (previously connected)
ax25 sessions with SRC and DST call are shown in LISTEN state.
if things go worse, the kernel oopses, when the kernel "walks" through
the list of ax25 connections (ax25_cb); which is the case when issuing
a command like "netstat".

When using kernel 2.4.x, i deeply advice to apply the 9a4gl patches:
ftp://ham2.cc.fer.hr/pub/users/9a4gl/ (the latest patch is
9a4gl-ax25-2423-20040109.patch).

It applies to the latest kernel 2.4.x release.
Unfortunately, it will never bevome part of an official release,
because there are any new releases planed for this branch.

kernel 2.6.x
------------

If you use kernel 2.6.x, i do not recommend any kernel before 2.6.14.

Personaly, i was a bit disappointed, regarding feedback:

i did not use kernel 2.6.x on our digipeaters, because stability was
most important for me for a system running on top of a mountain or other
locations which are hardly accessable.

But i could not imagine, that over nearly a year, either nobody tried
out kernel 2.6.x with ax25, or why he did not told nothing about his
problems he had.
In this time gap, kernel 2.6.x has seen much development, but mostly in
a "laboritory environment". After Jann has decided to use kernel 2.6 at
his digipeater, he saw some problems of instability, and in between one
or two weeks, every problem which has occured has been fixed by Ralf.

With kernel 2.6.x, the problems with the ax25cb-list are fixed. As well
as many other potentially race conditions (the kernel-ax25 stack, mkiss
driver, etc.. ever had).
Another nice feature is the crc-smack routine in mkiss; you may need it
when using the tnc7multi with linux.

The "enhanced 6pack" driver (for the "pr430") is currently not part
of the official kernel. This is, because the standards have changed,
and the coude should be rewritten in order to use the sysfs structure
(instead of procfs) before being granted to be part of the official
kernel.

Thus let me end with the demand to test kernel 2.6.x with ax25 where you
can, and i please you to give feedback with any problems you have.

73,

        - Thomas  dl9sau

WMASS:N1URO-14} Area: linux Current message # 15
?,A,B,C,CV,DX,E,F,H,I,IP,J,K,L,N,NS,P,PB,PO,Q,R,S,T,U,USC,WHO,WW,WX,X >

Spam {n}: an entity using smtp via internet to force
          humans to revert back to paper, pencil, and postage
          for mail communications.